Spaghetti squash is one of my favorite meals to make because it is low carb and, well, low everything! It also is light on your stomach and can be paired with different seasonings. Feel free to mix it up with toppings like; marinara sauce and basil or olive oil and parmesan cheese.
How to cook the squash
- Use a sharp paring knife to pierce the spaghetti squash in 10 to 15 places, spacing the cuts evenly apart.
- It is very important that you pierce the squash before microwaving it. Otherwise, it could overheat and explode in the microwave. (that may or may not have happened to me before)
- Place the whole squash on a paper towel and microwave for 10-12 minutes depending on the size of your squash.
- Let the squash cool for about five minutes
- Use a sharp knife to cut the squash open lengthwise, from top to bottom.
- Wear oven mitts or hold the squash with a towel as you do this. It usually is still hot.
- Cutting the squash open should be very easy. If it isn’t, you may need to microwave it for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Scrape out the seeds with a fork and/or spoon into a bowl and discard.
- Now, on the good stuff: Get a dish ready to put your “pasta” in and scrape out the inside of the squash. With the flesh-side facing up, use a dinner fork to scrape the flesh of the squash away from the shell and toward the hollowed out center.
- Move around the entire perimeter of the shell, gently pulling the flesh away in spaghetti-like strands and “fluffing” those strands toward the center as you work.
- Add about two to three tablespoons of good olive oil and season with black pepper, Ms. Dash, and parmesan cheese
- Add desired amount of marinara sauce and top with fresh basil
If additional help was needed, this video is very helpful to give a visual representation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPFErHz6zOM